Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sleep deprived already and the babies aren't even here yet

The books and the experienced people have told us that once the babies arrive we won't be getting much sleep.  But noone told us that sleep deprivation could start early.  J has pregnancy rhinitus, which basically means she has the sinus symptoms of an allergy or a cold.  J doesn't usually snore when she sleeps but since she became pregnant snoring has become very typical.  When she's not snoring she's making very unusual breathing sounds.  LOUD breathing sounds.  The kind that wake me from a deep sleep.  And then I can't go back to sleep.  Some nights it begins early and I'm up before midnight.  Some nights it doesn't rouse me until 2ish.  Our house is small.  Once the babies' room is finished I'll be able to go in there to sleep.  Until then, I'm on the couch.  A comfortable couch until you start spending portions of every night on it.  I have a bedroll of sheets and blankets that I literally just roll out onto the couch and then roll back up when it's time to get up for work.  Do I need to mention, I've been much more focused on getting the babies' room finished.  I don't like the idea of sleeping in separate spaces but I do think getting as much sleep as possible now before the babies arrive is probably a good idea.  At least J has been sleeping.  There was some consolation for me while tossing and turning on the couch knowing that she was sleeping well.  This has begun to change.  She finds herself increasingly more uncomfortable in the bed with more trips to the bathroom.  She still seems to be getting more sleep than I am but the quality is diminishing.  At this rate the kids will be lucky if either of their parents are coherent or not crabby when they arrive.